Saturday 12 April 2014

First day at my new school!


I still remember the day, as if it was only yesterday. It was 7.40 in the morning and I had just lined up outside the school gate with all the other early arrivals. They all were looking at me, or was I just too conscious? I wouldn't know. I was simply too busy trying hard not to look them in their eyes, just in case someone found me interesting and wanted to talk to me. I kept looking here and there. My nervousness was way too obvious from my body language. With my shoulders bent and head hung as low as possible, I waited and waited till at around 7.50 AM the watchman finally opened the doors to “my would be second home”.

Not really knowing what to do next, I simply followed the herd of students. As I passed the watchman, I said “Good Morning Bhaiya”, something my parents had taught me to do. His reaction told me that I had done something completely unexpected. He stared at me for full 5 seconds as I kept walking straight feeling his gaze on the back of my head. It must have been the fact that I was the only one who wished him. I was quite shocked to see that none of the kids greeted him, “what a shame?” I thought to myself.

Anyways, overcoming the watchman’s intense glare, I entered the school premises and, and simply kept standing. It was too much to take in. A tall building with a very small field space suddenly hovered over me. The intensity of bright yellow was eye catching. I stared around trying to take in every little detail that I could. May be, doing this while standing at the center of the assembly hall was not a good idea. Every one kept on giving me those weird looks. That weird “out of place” feeling crept in and I again became conscious of my movements. I realized that I was the only one who had no surety in his movement. All the students seemed so confident and smart. I was jealous.

I was just beginning to settle with those looks when the teachers arrived on the ground. Well, that was it! I completely lost every bit of self confidence. I simply froze. One of the stern looking teachers was fast approaching towards me. I felt dreaded. “I need to move, right now” I remember thinking to myself. I garnered all my courage to muster just two words to the nearest standing kid. “Class second?” I asked, “Upstairs, right side” came a swift reply. The approaching teacher was just 5 steps away now. I simply beat a hasty retreat towards the direction of my new class.

I had successfully ignored the first dangerous encounter for now, but what about the kids in my class?  “How on earth will I talk to them? Will they want to talk to me? Will they be my friend? Will they accept me, or make fun of me?” all these questions were making my mind go numb as my legs kept moving. I was moving at a snail’s pace and yet, I reached there within 5 minutes. “Damn” I cursed. I remember seeing the label outside the class reading in big bold letters “2nd B”. I did think of going back to the safety of my house for a second but that thought quickly vanished as I saw another teacher coming towards where I was standing. I had to go inside now. “Okay Snehal, time to take the plunge and meet your new class!” With heavy and highly unsure heart, I entered the class.

“GOOODD MOORRNNINNGG SSIIRRR” came the sound of at least 30 kids.

“Aah Crap! What have I done?” I thought to myself. “Good morning Kids, I am your new teacher!” I don’t know how, but I managed a broad smile.

6 comments:

  1. Another nicely written article...:)..u have given importance to nitty gritty of every emotion you felt and about your surroundings, making the write up further more interesting..good job..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice n sweet though I don't know why you were so afraid.. but yu did survive a year, yea we all did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Awesome piece of writing. Reminds me of my first day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your nervousness of starting at a new place is justified by how eager you are to be with the new kids and want to have a lasting impression. Good luck with your new experience! I am sure you will be even better and wiser this time around :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just keep that smile going, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete